American nutrition experts have identified the most nutritional diets. To do this, they analyzed hundreds of popular meal patterns aimed at improving health and weight loss. One of the most useful diets of the year was recognized as a therapeutic lifestyle changes diet known as the TLC diet.
The purpose of the TLC diet
The purpose of the TLC diet is to reduce the level of bad cholesterol.
Type of diet
Meal pattern with a restriction of fat consumption.
Diet can reduce bad cholesterol by 8-10% over a period of 6 weeks.
The main requirement of the meal pattern is the strict restriction on the consumption of fats, especially saturated fats (fatty meat, whole-milk products, fried foods). At the same time, it is proposed to limit the cholesterol use and significantly increase the amount of fiber (fruits and vegetables) in the daily ration. In the whole, these measures reduce the level of bad cholesterol, which increases the risk of stroke and heart attack, even without taking medications.
Advantages of the diet
- Good diets are good for the heart and blood vessels.
- There is no risk to health.
Disadvantages of the diet
- Effectiveness may depend on the individual characteristics of the body.
- It is necessary to study the labels on products with information on nutritional properties.
Suggested dietary pattern
- First, you need to determine the desired level of calorie intake. If the task is only to lower cholesterol, then the benchmark is 2500 kcal for men and 1800 kcal for women. If you still want to lose weight, one should limit your daily diet to 1,600 kcal for men and 1200 for women.
- The next step is to reduce to a minimum (less than 7% of the daily amount of calories) of saturated fats – whole milk products, butter, fatty meat, sausages, etc. You can consume no more than 200 mg of cholesterol per day – this amount is approximately 50 g of hard cheese.
- If after six weeks your bad cholesterol level does not decrease by 8-10%, add 2 g of plant stanols or sterols to your daily ration, as well as 10-25 g of soluble fiber. These substances block the absorption of cholesterol in the digestive tract, which helps lower cholesterol levels in the body. Stanols and sterols are in significant quantities in vegetable oils, and they can also be taken as nutritional supplements.
- The TLC diet involves the consumption of a large number of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, non-fat or fat-free dairy products, fish, skinless poultry. How exactly do you cook and combine these products is your business, most importantly – do not use frying as a method of cooking.
What should you and shouldn`t eat
It is recommended to eat skinless poultry and fish, boiled or baked. Red meat is not recommended because it contains a lot of cholesterol. You should eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. The recommended daily allowance is 4 servings of fruit and 3-5 servings of vegetables. You shouldn`t eat a lot of saturated fats. Avoid dairy products from whole milk, fatty pork, and beef, as well as anything roasted.
Will you loose excessive weight?
The purpose of this diet is to lower cholesterol levels and, consequently, to improve the health of the heart and blood vessels. However, this diet is well balanced and it accustomes to a healthy nutrition. Therefore, it is very likely that if you follow it regularly, you will get rid of a few extra pounds.
The TLC diet offers a complete diet rich in nutrients, fiber, and calcium. It fully complies with official medical recommendations for the use of fats and, in particular, saturated fats, as well as carbohydrates and proteins.Those who follow this diet cannot be afraid of any health risks or side effects. There are no age or other restrictions to comply with it. Nutrition experts claim that the TLC diet is a very effective way of preventing cardiovascular disease.